Gone are the days when teachers had to use white or blackboards to teach students. Projectors have replaced the whiteboards in the majority of schools.
Teachers today don’t have to write on boards. They can just prepare a PPT presentation, videos, and other content beforehand and display it in classrooms through projectors. This saves time and makes it easy for students to understand what is being taught.
However, the dilemma arises when schools or teachers choose suitable projectors for classroom use. It’s not easy as projectors come in various shapes and sizes. There is no one fit for all.
- Why Should You Have A Projector In Your ClassRoom?
- Things To Look at While Choosing The Right Projector For Your Classroom
- 5 Best Projectors For Classroom Use
- Frequently Asked Questions
Factors such as classroom sizes, projection technology, and lightning must be considered before installing the projector in the classroom. That’s where we will help you. In this guide, we tell you:
- How are projectors helpful for both teachers and instructors?
- What features should you look for?
- How to choose the projector?
- Best five projectors for classroom use.
So, let’s dive in.
Why Should You Have A Projector In Your ClassRoom?
Today’s classrooms are changing rapidly due to the introduction of innovative technology. Technology has made classrooms much more interactive than ever. Imagine all those videos, PPT presentations, and audios available in classrooms today. This was not present in older days. Teachers had only boards to present the information to the school, which was not a productive way to teach.
However, today, teachers can display PowerPoint presentations, photographs, and even movies to engage students in their lessons with projectors.
Below are some advantages of using a projector in a classroom that you should be aware of:
#1. Using Class Time More Effectively
It’s no secret writing on board is time-consuming. Before the invention of projectors, teachers had to go to the classroom daily and write notes on board, erase them, and rewrite the content as the lesson progressed.
These classroom disruptions often resulted in students losing interest in learning or chatting among friends to pass the time. The end result was a waste of time for both teachers and students.
But not anymore. With projectors today, teachers can plan presentations and exercises. The best thing is that these resources can be used several times for multiple groups of students. Teachers can even share their notes with teachers who need help with lessons. ‘
Not only do projectors save teachers time, but they also make students more interested in learning. It’s a win-win situation for both parties.
#2. Efficient Note-Taking
Listening and taking notes at the same time can be difficult for students. You can share notes digitally afterward if you show slides and information via an interactive projector. As your students know that you’ve taken care of notes for the whole lesson, they can focus on listening and only note down information that is relevant to them.
Using a projector, teachers can showcase bulleted PowerPoint presentations or share these slides with students after class is over. If students miss information, they can just go through the shared presentations and understand the topic.
#3. Greater Teaching Adaptability
Teachers are no more limited to chalks and boards. With classroom projectors, instructors can present study material in various forms, like short films, PPT slides, images, and PDFs to teach.
The Internet also plays a key role as instructors can display web content directly to an entire class rather than having students access information on their personal computers, which is a significant distraction. Moreover, the exceptional sound quality of today’s projectors makes learning more fun and memorable.
#4. Interactive Presentations
When students are involved in learning, they can concentrate better on their work. That’s why it’s essential to be sure about how to choose a projector screen. One interactive projector screen can accommodate up to ten students at once, so students can work on group projects and presentations simultaneously.
When students are working together in front of the class are more likely to participate in-class activities. In turn, they become more engaged throughout the lesson.
#5. Increasing Classroom Productivity
Projectors in classrooms that display notes interactively save professors the trouble of writing on the board. As a result, students are also free from being distracted by ’empty silent moments’ and hence, are less inclined to interrupt or converse with other students.
Things To Look at While Choosing The Right Projector For Your Classroom
Purchasing a projector for school is a challenging process. You have to make a checklist for the environment you plan to use, including the size, open space, and light source. You also have to keep an eye on various features available for each projector model and pick the one that matches your needs.
#1. Projection Technology
Most educational projectors come with digital light processing (DLP) or LCD projection technology. However, currently, DLP is used by the majority of educational institutions. This is because the light projection of DLP projectors tends to be robust and suitable for spaces with higher ambient lighting, such as classrooms and conference rooms.
Another advantage that DLP projectors have over other projection technologies is that there is a low motion blur which is an issue with projectors. On the other hand, LCD projectors have the advantage of having higher lamp life than DLP projectors, although motion blur is an issue.
In the end, projection technology will depend on factors such as classroom environment and school budget.
#2. Light Source
Three types of light sources are used in projectors: LEDs, lamps, and lasers.
- LED Projectors: LED models are small and compact, so they can be packed in a pocket or purse. They are also environmentally friendly, making them appropriate for extending classroom resources.
- Lamp-Based Projectors: In general, lamp-based educational projectors have existed the longest and have been the cheapest. Because of this, they can be the most cost-effective solution for low-use applications.
- Laser Projectors: Education projectors with laser light sources may initially cost more but can be more effective in the long run. This is due to their longer lifespans and fewer maintenance requirements.
Resolution refers to the number of pixels displayed on a screen, not the physical display of the projector. Instead, it concerns the quality of the projected image.
The resolution of an image gets determined by the number of dots or pixels displayed. Higher-resolutions result in crisper, more transparent images due to the usage of more pixels.
High resolution is crucial when presenting detailed charts, graphs, and high-definition video. As an example, 1920 x 1200 indicates a high resolution.
Most classroom viewing materials do not require ultra-high resolution. Education projectors with higher resolutions can display better details. Subjects like science, technology, and math classes may be an exception to this rule.
#4. Ambient Lighting
The brightness of a projector is measured in lumens. The more light you want, the higher brightness you will need to deliver sharp, clear images. When shopping for a projector, it’s essential to consider two-lumen specifications: one for color brightness and one for white brightness.
Using a projector with a minimum brightness of 2500 lumens is highly recommended in classrooms or rooms with windows. In the end, you will need to choose projectors based on the light conditions in the school.
#5. Short Throw and Ultra-Short Throw
The projected image’s size depends on the projector’s distance from the screen. This means the farther your projector is, the larger image it can project. But, the projector’s length from the screen varies with different projectors. This is called the throw ratio.
Throw ratio largely depends on the lens. We often classify projectors into regular, short, and ultra-short throws.
- Regular: In most classrooms, regular throw projectors seldom work. This is because they need to be too close to the screen or mounted above the head or behind the students. This creates several challenges, including too small images, shadows, etc.
- Short Throw: Show throw projectors are ideal for classrooms as they reduce the projection distance by more than half. In fact, projectors with high-quality, short-throw lenses produce stunning, big-screen results, even in small spaces.
- Ultra- Short Throw: Ultra short throw adds to the advantages provided by the short-throw projectors. They eliminate the shadows, glares, and reflection. This is because very high-quality lenses power them.
#6. Total Cost of Ownership
No matter how good your projector is, it’s a liability if it won’t last for more than a few years. Most schools are faced with tight budgets and should consider projectors with extended life spans.
One way to avoid changing projectors every year or two is to get a projector with less lamp wattage per lumen. It provides greater energy efficiency and saves money on lamp replacements in the long term.
Another excellent tip to reduce overall maintenance cost and cost of ownership is to choose projector models with an extended lamp life of over 5,000 hours. Moreover, investing in dust filters proves to be cost-effective as filters extend the life span of lamps which are costly to replace.
#7 Miscellaneous Features to Consider
Besides the above-listed features, you must also take note of the following features before buying projectors for classroom use.
- Audio: You will need good audio like all the content today requires audio to enhance the message. But, not all projectors have audio. On the other hand, some may have low-quality audio that is not audible in large classrooms. So, ensure your projector has a high-quality audio function.
- Long Lamp Life: Longer lamp life means lower projectors TCO. This is especially true in heavy-use classrooms.
- Portability: If you often need to share resources between more than one classroom, portability is an essential factor to consider. LED projectors are best for portability as they often weigh below 2 pounds.
- Connectivity: At Least one HDMI port is a must for higher connectivity. Some educational projectors also come with dual HDMI for easy setup and installation.
5 Best Projectors For Classroom Use
Now that you know who to select a projector for your classroom, which technology to check, and what top features to look for in a projector, it’s time to choose the best one for your classroom.
Let’s check out some of the best projector options available to make any classroom a modern learning space. Below is the list of some of the most popular and trending projectors.
Optoma EH412 1080p Projector provides high-quality colors and a long lamp life with a low cost of ownership. The projector is handy for advanced display functions, optimizing with DLP technology. The product is made to be used any time of the day for multiple purposes. Easy remote controls make it super easy to use by both professionals and students.
Optoma EH412 1080p Projector Specifications :
- High Brightness: The Optoma EH412 1080p projector provides a brightness of 4,500 lumens, which is enough to light up meeting rooms, conference halls, classrooms, and more.
- 4K HDR input: The product gives out vibrant colors, brighter whites, deeper black levels, and sharper images when matched with 4K HDR devices.
- Vivid Color: The projector has one contrast and the sRGB color profile that enables richness of color on the screen.
- Easy Image Setup: The product comes with a 1.3X zoom capability that allows you to place the image at a throw ratio of 1. 2-1. 47: 1.
- Ample Connectivity Options: It has many options for other connections such as 2x HDMI, VGA in & out, audio-in & out, RS232, and USB-A.
- Integrated Speaker: It also comes with an integrated speaker of 10 watts that allows you to set the volume as high and low as possible.
- Long Lamp Life: It has a long LAMP life of around 15,000 hours which is enough to light it for eight years if you use it 5 hours a day.
- Portable Size: It weighs less than 8 pounds, making it a portable device. It is extremely easy to handle and move from one classroom to another.
Features of Optoma EH412 1080p Projector
- Magnificent Picture Quality: The Optoma EH412 projects incredibly crisp, clear 1080p images with support for 4K HDR input sources. An sRGB and REC.709 color profiles and a 50,000:1 contrast ratio ensure sharp and vivid images to provide the best image quality.
- Super Bright: The long lamp life provides a battery life of more than 15,000 hours, enough for lighting up large spaces like classrooms, teacher meeting areas, etc.
- Robust Connectivity: The product comes with many connectivity options such as HDMI, VGA in & out, audio-in & out, RS232, and USB-A, which can be used for all kinds of purposes during meetings and conferences.
Why Should You Buy Optoma EH412 1080p Projector?
Being a portable and high-functionality device, you can complete all your tasks with this projector. Therefore, if you are looking for a projector mainly for teaching or meeting purposes requiring a high level of functionalities, this is the one to go with.
The Epson PowerLite 1751 perfectly combines performance and price, which provides around 2600 lumens of color brightness and 2600 lumens of white illumination that is sufficient for education such as presentations, video lectures, etc. The slim and ultra-light projector comes with a little lower resolution and more modest connectivity options. Along with this, the projector weighs only 3.7 lbs, which makes it very portable.
Epson PowerLite 1751 Specifications
- Light Weight And Travel Friendly: This projector is exceptionally lightweight and can be used for traveling. It weighs just 3.7 lb, which can be carried to a distance with no problem.
- XGA performance: It has 2600 lumens color and 2600 lumens white light output, native XGA resolution. That’s why it can be used to display high-profile images and videos.
- Easy Connectivity: The projector supports various connectivity options, such as USB and other ports. It is compatible with windows as well as mac devices.
- HDMI Connectivity: It can easily and quickly connect with any HDMI device. It allows high-quality digital videos, theater-quality sound, and device commands.
- PC-free presentations: It also supports direct USB presentations connecting to any PC or laptop.
- Adjustable Lamp Life: The lamp supports eco and normal modes, providing different life hours to the lamp.
- Dynamic Iris: The projector also supports dynamic Iris, allowing it to identify unique characters.
- Brilliant Widescreen Performance: High-definition WXGA (1280 x 800) resolution and a 16:10 aspect ratio allow you to project HD widescreen content as well as content from widescreen notebooks.
Features of Epson Powerlite 1751:
- Remarkable Clarity And Detail: XGA (1024 x 768) resolution provides high-quality resolutions for images and videos.
- 3x Brighter Colors and Reliable Performance: The projector uses three-chip technology that provides vibrant, true-to-life, and consistent images that are extremely useful for teaching.
- Added Features, No Added Cost: It also supports built-in closed caption capabilities and a 1W speaker, providing high-quality sound.
Why Should You Buy This Projector?
The Epson PowerLite 1751 XGA 3LCD Projector is an appealing, lightweight, and portable projector that makes it easily movable. It also provides excellent video and image quality. If you need a low-priced projector with all functionalities, this is the one.
The Optoma EH335 is a bright 36,000 lumens 1080 projector optimized for advanced functionalities such as network control, wireless connectivity, etc., and robust connectivity options, making it an ideal choice for small use cases. It is one of those projectors that supports 3D content too. Having this feature makes it very useful for specific tasks. Other than this, it has plenty of connectivity options that can be used for various purposes.
Optoma EH335 Projector Specifications:
- Network Control: Set up complete network control, which is extremely useful in educational environments; LAN & RS-232 enable control via Extron, AMX, or Telnet.
- Robust Connectivity: The EH335 features 2x HDMI, MHL, VGA, Composite, Audio-in/out, USB-Power, RS232, RJ45, and PC and laptop connectivity.
- Long Lamp Life: The projector supports around 15,000 hours of lamp life. The lamp life is enough to light up 4 hours a day for ten years.
- Standard Throw Distance: Project a 120″ image from approximately 12.8 feet away with the EH335’s 1.47 – 1.62 throw ratio.
- Integrated Speaker: A speaker of 10-watt is integrated with the projector, which enhances sound quality by connecting no external speakers.
- High Brightness: It comes with 3,600 lumens of brightness which is enough for meeting rooms, classrooms, and auditoriums.
- Magnificent Picture Quality: Enjoy presentations with 1080p full high definition and 20,000:1 contrast ratio.
- Portable Size: The projector is easy to carry and can be fitted into a small space as it weighs just 7 pounds.
Features Optoma EH335 Projector
- Flexible Image Setup: The projector is equipped with a 1.1x zoom and ±40 degree vertical keystone correction to provide installation flexibility in any space.
- Incredible Image Quality: The EH335 features 3,600 lumens of brightness is enough for students and teachers for educational purposes.
- MHL Display: The projector can also be connected to mobile phones using just an MHL cable.
Why Should You Buy This Projector?
Since it is a bright 1080p projector, it is considered to be an ideal solution for educational purposes. It is perfect for small to medium room sizes. You can buy this projector if you want these advanced features at an affordable price.
Featuring SVGA, the Epson VS250 is best for all kinds of projection needs. Being lightweight, it’s easy to use and carry to other classrooms. On the other hand, Epson VS250 is one the best digital projector for classroom use that delivers remarkable color accuracy, with high color Brightness and wide Color Gamut such that students enjoy the highest quality image. The best feature of this projector is automatic vertical keystone adjustments which help arrange the images correctly in the presentation.
Epson VS250 Projector Specifications :
- Bright And Colorful: The 3,200 lumens of equal color and white brightness are enough for a large audience.
- SVGA resolution: It is ideal for projecting everyday presentations and graphics.
- Robust Connectivity: The projector supports all kinds of laptops and PCs. It also supports other connectivity options, such as HDMI.
- Optional Wireless Connectivity: It supports wireless connection when connected to a high-speed LAN module.
- iProjection App Compatible: It also supports wireless projection from Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, etc.
- Quick Corner: It can adjust corners perfectly for rectangular images.
- Enhanced Lamp Life: It supports around 10,000 hours of lamp life in ECO mode during 6,000 hours in normal mode.
- USB Support: It supports direct projection from USB cables without connecting a laptop or PC.
Features of Epson VS250 Projector:
- Accurate And Vivid Colors: 3,200 lumens of equal color and white brightness is enough for presentations, playing videos, and other educational tasks.
- Fast And Easy Setup: The projector can be set up within no time, as it supports minimum controls and image adjustments on its own.
- Compatible With Latest Media Players: Supports HDMI, the standard in connectivity, for digital video and audio with just one cable.
Why Should You Buy This Projector?
The Epson VS250 projector is ideal for educational purposes for presentations, video lectures, and other needs. Its high image quality gives high accuracy of details. If you are looking for interactive projectors for classroom use, Epson is a good choice.
The ViewSonic PA503S delivers magnificent visual performance to improve presentations and is an ideal choice for educational purposes. Packed with 3800 ANSI Lumens of brightness and a 22,000:1 contrast ratio, it shows even minute details in videos and images.
ViewSonic PA503S Projector Specifications
- Versatile: The projector provides many advanced features and options that can easily be used for education.
- Big Screen Projection: It projects 120 inches from 15-feet 8-inches in 3800 lumens. The screen is very much suitable for teaching and learning purposes.
- Easy Setup: This projector requires no extra setup and control. You just need to plug in the device, which is ready to use.
- Long Lamp Life: SuperEco mode allows the lamp to shine bright for up to 15,000 hours, enough to light it for eight years if you use it 5 hours a day.
- Flexible Connectivity: The product is highly flexible with connecting devices as it supports most media players, PCs, Macs, and mobile devices with input options, such as HDMI, VGA, and more.
- Wonderful Color Accuracy: It comes with SuperColor Technology that allows an exclusive 6-segment color wheel and dynamic lamp control capabilities, providing a wide color range and stunningly beautiful images.
- Automatic Sleep Timer And Power Off: The product also supports automatic sleep and power off when it detects inactivity for some time.
- Reduced Input Latency: The projector allows a reduction in latency, which delivers smooth images and video with no delay. Its ultra-low 16ms input latency provides faster frame-by-frame action.
- 3D Blu-ray Ready HDMI Input: It comes with several HDMI options and also supports the display of 3D images and video with no error.
- Vertical Keystone Correction: Vertical keystone correction (+/- 40°) helps eliminate curved and distorted images to provide a perfectly proportioned picture every time.
Why Should You Buy This Projector?
If you are looking for digital projectors for classroom use that have a long shelf life, a ViewSonic projector is what you need. The lamp supports 15,000 hours of life, which is best for long-term use.
Digital projectors for classroom use are one of the best ways to engage current generation students. It’s also a cost-effective way for schools to display multimedia content in the classroom with no students using their personal devices.
The above-listed projectors for classroom use deliver a range of capabilities that is ideal for higher education. We have considered several factors such as durability, space savings, resolution, quality, and others before choosing the above five.
The best thing is projectors have a long shelf life, enabling schools and institutions to save their budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How do projectors help learners with different learning styles?
Projectors engage learners through audio, video, and interactive content. This is helpful for all learners, such as auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learners.
Q2. What are the advantages of an overhead projector?
Overhead projectors are mounted to the ceiling in the classroom for better projection. One advantage of an overhead projector is that it is not easily reachable, so the chances of getting damaged by falling students are pretty low.
Q3. What type of projectors are used in classrooms?
There are different types of projectors for classroom use, such as:
1. Optoma EH412 1080p Projector
2. Epson VS250
3. ViewSonic PA503S Projector
4. Epson PowerLite 1751
5. Optoma EH335 Projector
Q4. What are the factors to consider when selecting a projector?
Schools and teachers seldom get a question on how to choose a projector for the classroom that’s best for both teachers and students. Here are some factors to help you pick the right projector for classroom use.
1. Projector screen
2. Estimate the amount of ambient light present in the classroom.
3. Source content
4. How many lumens are needed?
5. Interactivity options are offered. E.g., ppt, videos, audios, etc.
6. How much is a throw distance?
7. Is there a warranty?
Q5. DLP Vs. LCD? Which projection technology to choose for the classroom?
Digital Light Processing is currently the latest projection technology used in classroom projectors. This is because DLP is more suitable for spaces with high ambient lighting, such as classrooms and conference rooms.
Q6. How many lumens are suitable for a projector?
Projector’s brightness is measured in lumens. For spaces with more ambient lighting, such as classrooms, choosing a projector with a minimum of 2500 lumens is important for better picture quality.
Q7. How much does a school projector cost?
The price of a projector depends on several factors such as lumen, projection technology, lamp life etc. However, at the school level, the projector starts from $500, and can go up to $1200.
Q8. How do projectors help students?
Projector-based learning is effective in the long term as it is interactive and helps students with problem-solving skills, critical thinking, etc. This is not the case with board teaching. Many students may find copying content from the board very tiresome and boring, thus making them disinterested altogether.